public inbox for bitcoindev@googlegroups.com
From: Hector Chu <hectorchu@gmail.com>
To: Peter Todd <pete@petertodd.org>
Cc: Hector Chu via bitcoin-dev <bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Voting by locking coins
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 16:23:41 +0100	[thread overview]

I think that if a vote was free, no matter how much weight it carried, then
it could be easily bought and the vote manipulated. If the cost of the vote
was proportional to its weight, then it would be harder to manipulate the
vote.
I know I haven't explained that thoroughly, but as an analogy think to how
markets determine the clearing price for a good. Votes in markets cost
money.