public inbox for bitcoindev@googlegroups.com
From: "Jorge Timón" <jtimon@jtimon.cc>
To: Luke Dashjr <luke@dashjr.org>
Cc: Bitcoin Dev <bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP proposal: Increase block size limit to 2 megabytes
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 04:14:03 +0100	[thread overview]

If it is to be uncontroversial and everybody will upgrade, there's no
fear of a "veto power" and there's no good reason not to wait for 95%
block version signaling for deployment coordination, ideally using
bip9.
But that's for chosing the exact block where to start. The grace
period to give time to all users to upgrade should be before and not
after miner's final confirmation: that simplifies and accelerates
things. Assuming we chose a grace period that is really adequate,
nearly 100% of miners will have likely upgraded long before everyone
(since miners are a subset of "everyone"). If that is not the case and
miners happen to be the latest to upgrade, using bip9 after the grace
period (aka starting median-time/height) will make sure the hardfork
doesn't get activated without 95% of the miners having upgraded.

28 days seems extremely short (specially if the grace period comes
first), some people have suggested one year for simple hardforks like
this one.