public inbox for bitcoindev@googlegroups.com
From: Ethan Heilman <eth3rs@gmail.com>
Subject: [bitcoindev] Publishing text of 2017-era proposed Bitcoin opcode OP_FFS (Fold Function Stream)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2024 08:40:53 -0400	[thread overview]

OP_FFS was an idea written up by Jeremy Rubin in 2017, during an email
conversation with me about a streaming hash function bitcoin opcode. I
am sharing it as it is sometimes referenced in public discussions but
was not previously public and it felt like it should be public. For
instance there was some discussion referring to OP_FFS on [the
bitcoin-dev mailinglist in 2019]
(https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2019-October/017355.html)
and more recently on [twitter in
2024](https://x.com/bitgould/status/1804535410904764666).

This should not be read as a BIP proposal, BIP draft or endorsement,
there are just notes written up during private correspondence. This is
being published with Jeremy's express permission.

Can also be read as a gist:
https://gist.github.com/EthanHeilman/b12b9c834c61109aaccb6cb9ffc675e8

From Jeremy's email to me: